A page explaining the various terms.
The Great Calamity (大災厄 Daisaiyaku) : The series of events started in 400 years ago, when the Witch of Envy raged.
Silver Flower Dance (銀華乱舞): An event that happened a couple of decades ago. A duel in Picoutatte that was between two men who both represented their countries in the duel. Wilhelm van Astrea for the Kingdom of Lugnica and Kurgan for the Vollachia Empire. Wilhelm fought against Kurgan several times at Picoutatte and triumphed, succeeding in cutting off six of his eight arms.
Demi-human War (亜人戦争): A war that lasted for ten years roughly 50 to 40 years earlier. Due to the actions of the Witch of Envy, Half-Elves and other half races were considered to be heretical, with the prejudice extending to Demi-humans themselves. Amidst all of that, a Demi-human village was involved in a conflict with a Human village, and at a peace conference, those sent from the castle were assassinated, leading both sides to claim that it was the other side's fault. The conflict eventually grew until it spread across Lugnica, lasting until the Demi-humans admitted that it wouldn't benefit anyone to keep on fighting, though they still claimed not to be responsible for the assassination. The decision to end the war was considered to have brought about by the Sword Saint's actions. Damage from the war existed deep within people and people still harbor prejudice against half races even if it isn't spoken aloud.
Emperor Selection Ceremony (皇帝選出の儀): A method which the Vollachia Empire uses to pick the new emperor. The emperor first marries women in all parts of the country and has children with them. Those children then vie for the throne, and the last survivor becomes the new emperor. This ceremony is an example of the emperor himself following the country's ideals, earning it the support of the people.
Earth Dragon (地竜): Dragons created by Volcanica. Much like horses on earth these wingless land-based dragons are often domesticated to be used in menial labors such as transport or warfare. They have varied body types and colors to suit different terrains, environmental conditions and jobs make them excellent to work with. All Earth Dragons are born with Wind Evasion a species-based Divine Protection
- Flanna Species (フランナ種): The most numerous versatile species.
- Eliq Species (エイリーク種): Earth Dragon species for cold environments.
- Agaress Species (アガレス種): An Earth Dragon Species for desert environments.
- Diana Species (ダイアナ種): The species of Patrasche. It's a prideful and relatively rare species.
Food: Various foods are known by different names, such as Ringa (リンガ) for apple (ringo), Lemom (レモム) for lemon, Solte (ソルテ) for salt, Peppa (ペッパ) for pepper, Vinegee (ビネギー) for vinegar, and Pimaru (ピーマル) for bell pepper (piman).
- Fluffy (フワフワ): Fluffy is a famous cotton candy like thing sold in the capital of Lugnica. Fluffy made by first-class craftsman are good enough that they can't be told apart from clouds in the sky.
- Coff (コーフ): Coff is a drink that is made from beans which are transported and made in the Vollachia Empire. In the side story Rem's Latte Art, Subaru claims that coff is actually just something which is similar to coffee.
- Ryokucha (リョクチャ): A popular drink created in Kararagi.
Kingdom of Lugnica National Foundation Day (ルグニカ王国の建国記念日): The 25th of the month Marshba (マルシュバ) of Laguna's history.
Monthly Festival (月祝祭): The 25th day of every month. It is a monthly morning celebration, celebrating the national anniversary every month.
Demon Beast (魔獣): See Demon Beast.
Witches of Sin (大罪魔女): See Witches of Sin.
Magnolza's Deception Stand (マグリッツァの断頭台): Classical Vollachian literature. There are scenes such as "interaction between an old disciplinarian and the senior leader" or "the old king plot the minister and make himself to the thugs he hired." At the end of the story the hero who conspired with the Father King disappears with the dew of the deck base.
E・M・?: Various shortened phrases Subaru uses to praise Emilia. These include E・M・B (Emilia-tan Maji Bara), E・M・F (Emilia-tan Maji Fairy), E・M・H (Emilia-tan Maji Healer), E・M・K (Emilia-tan Maji Kishidou), E・M・K (Emilia-tan Maji Koakuma), E・M・M (Emilia-tan Maji Megami), and E・M・T (Emilia-tan Maji Tenshi).
Book of Wisdom (叡智の書): The Book of Wisdom is a white book crafted by Echidna that allows her to draw knowledge from the world's memory. The mind of an ordinary person attempting to read it would be fried out of the sheer amount of knowledge flowing into the reader's mind.
Royal Selection (王選): An election to decide on who will become the 42nd King of Lugnica. The elections spans for three years until the same day, which is the day a month before the ritual with Volcanica. The five candidates are Emilia, Crusch Karsten, Anastasia Hoshin, Priscilla Barielle, and Felt, all of whom were chosen by the Dragon Insignias.
Dragon Insignia: A small ceremonial touchstone badge with inset red jewel in the middle. It marks those have the qualification and potential to become a Dragon Maiden and Luginca's ruler during the Royal Selection when it's jewel shines brightly. There are 5 in total and where given to the royal family at sametime as the Dragon History Stone.
Dragon History Stone: A large stone lithograph bequeath by Volcanica to the late royal family that could foretell the fate of country. It's been used as a guideline to shape the Lugnica's future such as the Royal Selection.
Mana: A type of supernatural energy that exist in the atmosphere which can found everywhere. When magic is being processed a person's innate attitude will charge the mana particles to that specific element which briefly manifests as formless spell form before taking shape of the spell. When a person fully casts magic they will experience a brief physical and mental fatigue which results in sudden weakness if they are not used to expelling magic or overcast beyond their capacity. Mana is thought of originated from Od Laguna.
Gate: An invisible portal-like apparatus that exist in every living thing. It allows mana to pass through the body and be stored in the Od. Whether one can use magic or not entirely depends on its condition; be it either fully or partly open. Most people only have partly functioning gates so magic is out of reach to them. In addition, there are some with defective gates which keeps them from absorbing mana at all. Overcasting magic can also lead to damaging the gate, leading to permanent loss of magic if the user continues to do so without treatment. However that is difficult to obtain and if the gate breaks before that then nothing can be done. This side-effect of this leads to Mana Poisoning, a state in which an individual continues to absorb an excess amount mana beyond their capacity, but is incapable of releasing it, which will eventually destroy their Od and kill them. Improperly configured gates can also bring about Mana Poisoning, but can fixed.
Od (オド): Od is energy that is present inside of a living thing from the beginning, making it the opposite of mana, which can be taken in from a being's surroundings. Unlike mana, using od is similar to using yourself, and so using it isn't recommended.
Od Laguna (オド・ラグナ): The Od Laguna is a storage of mana located at the origin of the world. No one knows where it is located or whether it has a will of its own. It is said that those who awaken to prohibited arts have had their spirits destroyed by looking at it. Some speculate that it is the world's will and gives Divine Protection to people.
Lagmite: Otherwise known as mana stones. They come in all six elements and serve many practical functions in society. I.e fire lagmite or stones can be used in mechanisms for cooking or heating baths. Light lagmite or stones can be used for portable lamps. Any living being that has a "Gate" can come in contract and use them. They do not need to be able to use magic. Lagmite Crystals or Mana Crystals are special type of pure Lagmite that can housed powerful spirits like Puck.
- Pyroxene (輝石): A special type of Lagmite crystal that needed for humans to pass through the Sanctuary's Barrier. The crystal holds incredible powers like storing souls and spirits, and controlling magical algorithms.
Karnago Powder (カルナゴの粉末): Powder with a strong odor that can erase a person's body odor along with the powder's smell within minutes if applied to the body.
Warning Stone (警戒石): Warning Stones are capable of alerting people of intruders.
Crystal Lamp (結晶灯): Crystal Lamps gather mana from the atmosphere during the day and can be lit at night by using the accumulated mana.
Time Tower (刻限塔): Time Towers are tall buildings with a time crystal placed in them, similar to a clocktower. Many cities and villages have them and multiple towers are placed within each one. The clock and time in general are split into two phases Solartime & Lunartime. These further divided into sub-section sections that correspond to the 4 primary elements with each representing 6 hours. Solartime is Wind Time & and Earth Time aka A.M. Lunartime is Water Time and Fire Time P.M. The crystals waning and glow with the passage to show the time transition.
Trials of the Tomb (試練): The trials are three different events that take place at Echidna's Grave at night and clearing them releases the barrier on the Sanctuary. Only halves and people who have been given the right by Echidna may take the trials. If anyone unworthy enters, they suffer ill effects such as feeling bad or getting injured. The effects are stronger the more the person is talented.
- The First Trial (第一の試練): The beginning phrase is "First off, face your past". The trial taker is shown their past and told to get rid of any regret by either accepting or rejecting their past. The trial is finished if the trial taker either accepts that they change or decides that they won't change.
- The Second Trial (第二の試練): The beginning phrase is "See the unimaginable present". The trial taker experiences themselves living a different life. The trial is finished if the trial taker chooses reality over their dream.
- The Third Trial (第三の試練): The beginning phrase is "Face the impending disaster". The trial taker becomes consciousness and is shown probable futures they will experience. The trial is finished if the trial taker chooses to keep on going even if they know that a tragic future is waiting for them.
Divine Dragon Ritual (神龍儀): A ritual between Volcanica and either the king or a shrine maiden of the Kingdom of Lugnica where the pledge is reviewed. The next ritual will be held three years and a month after the beginning of the royal election.
Evil Repelling Crystal (退魔水晶): A crystal that can negate the effects of magic. Several were used at once to repel the Hakugei's mist.
Valgren (バルグレン): See Demon Beast Valgren
- Dragon's Fang (龍の牙): A tool used in summoning Valgren. According to Stride, if the fang sucks the blood of heaven sent children, a blood crazed dragon will appear. He summoned the dragon using the blood of 20 Lugnican citizens.
Shinobi (シノビ): Shinobi are skilled spies and assassins that are originally from Kararagi but are known to be employed by other powers.
Bokko Fruit: A small purple nut that can stimulate mana within a person's gate when taken. It's mainly used in emergencies when an Magic User's internal mana is depleted and their gate becomes dominant but need to use magic. However because this forcibly reactivates gate it carries a serious risk of damaging the gate itself.
Fannel Fruit (ファネルの実): The Fannel Fruit is a small fruit that when taken as powder can make a person's body feel hot, make them honest, and bring about strong drowsiness.
Gospel (福音): A black book that lists the holder's future. The information is more detailed if the miscalculation between the holder and the world memory is low.
- Roswaal and Beatrice's Gospel Book (ロズワールとベアトリスの福音書): Two complete gospel books created by Echidna for Roswaal and Beatrice. They allow the holder to use a limited version of the Book of Wisdom and only two exist in the entire world. Roswaal's book was destroyed by Ram and Beatrice disposed of hers to form a contract with Subaru.
- Witch Cult's Gospel (魔女教徒の福音): Incomplete gospel books that are given to potential Witch Cult members. They show the members a route to a future they desire through vague details. These books can only be read by the holder and appear to be incomprehensible to others.
Months: The world of Re:Zero has own months, but only three are known so far in the story, Tadmus, Marshba and Kisdam.
Seasons (季節): The seasons in the world are categorized into “Red-Sun, Blue-Sun, Yellow-Sun, and Green-Sun”, with each matching a different elemental magic type.
Doctor: A person that is extremely skilled at using healing Magic and has passed at the Healing Insitute in Lugnica.
Assassin Organization : An organization that is a group of mercenaries based in Gusteko, led by an individual known only as Mama. For more information, see Assassin Organization.
Kingdom Knights (王国騎士団 Ōkokukishi-dan): An organization that is the military force of the Kingdom of Lugnica. For more information, see Kingdom Knights.
Elf (エルフ): Elves are a race of Demi-humans known for their longevity and beauty. Because of the Witch of Envy, Elves were also the target of prejudice from others. Almost all Elves are currently frozen in Elior Forest.
Oni (鬼): The Oni are a strong race of Demi-humans known for their strong bodies and mana quality. Despite their strength, they are generally a peaceful race, and tend to live in villages in the mountains away from others. Most Oni have two horns, however those with one or no horns are known as Hornless (ツノナシ), and any Oni born with one horn are killed soon after birth. The village Ram and Rem lived in 10 years prior was the last Oni village, effectively making them the only two Oni left in the entire world. Roswaal remarks that the Oni's demise was because of natural selection, as they refused to accept new ideas, and not because of discrimination or prejudice.
Giant (巨人): Giants are a Demi-human race of massive people with tremendous strength and a lifespan of around 150 years. They fought in various places during wartime and because of that their numbers had dwindled. Currently, the only Giant in the royal capital is Rom. It is mentioned that Sekhmet killed almost all Giants.
Evil Eye Tribe (魔眼族): The Evil Eye Tribe are a type of Demi-human that were wiped out by the empire. There were originally not that many of them and they possessed the ability to see invisible things and interfere with the minds of others with their eyes.
Wolfin Tribe (ウルフィン族): The Wolfin Tribe are a rare type of Demi-human who are at the brink of extinction. There is an anecdote about the Wolfins being raised to refer to themselves as Kobolds.
Magic (魔法): See Magic.
Authority (権能): See Authority.
Witch Genes (魔女因子): Witch Genes are special genes that enable people to use authorities.
Divine Protection (加護): See Divine Protection.
Spirit Arts (精霊術): Spirit magic is a type of craft similar to magic that Spirit users employ.
Spirit User (精霊使い): Spirit users, such as Emilia, are people that are contracted with Spirits, and use them in various situations. There are three different classes of Spirits; Minute Spirits (微精霊 Biseirei), Quasi Spirits (準精霊 Junseirei), and Spirits (精霊 Seirei). There are also man made Spirits known as Artificial Spirits (人工精霊 Jinkou Seirei) which were created by the witch Echidna. Unlike Magic users, Spirit Users gather mana from outside their body.
Curse: A subcategory of spiritual and magical arts that originated from the country of Gusteko. The most notable traits about curses is they cannot be defend against once activated and they are most effective class of magic when comes to killing. However physical contract between the caster and target are mandatory for curse to work. Furthermore unlike mana-based magic, Curses are only limited to taking lives and have no other application in society beyond that. This caused the practice to become taboo leading it to fall out of favor among mainstream Magicians. Incidentally there are Demon Beasts such as Wolgarm who are capable of inflicting curse spells through their bites and draining mana of the victim.
- Curse Doll (呪い人形): Curse Doll is a curse which involves the user carving a curse mark that includes the information of the target they want to kill on someone, and upon activation, the person with the curse mark gains immortality, but as a cost they lose their sense of self and can't do anything else but kill the target and they die when the target is killed. Also, there seems to be a limit on the immortality. However, there's supposedly a way to cast the curse without the person losing their sense of self, which is what happened to Elsa, though repeatedly dying turned her into a curse doll.
Wall Strike (壁当て): A combat skill where, by controlling the mana inside the body, a shockwave is produced that can pass through obstacles.
Meteor (ミーティア Metia) : A tool that allows people who's gate isn't working properly to use magic. It is known as a magic generator that does not require the user's mana or training and everyone is able to use Meteors. There are many sorts of Meteors, while most of them are created by the most skilled craftsman of the world. Magic Stones are commonly used in Meteors, however it does increase the rarity in a Meteor.
- Conversing Mirror (対話鏡) : A rare meteor that connects with another Conversing Mirror to communicate with others, similar to a cellphone.
- White Tiger's Nest (白虎の巣) : A Meteor which captures a person and makes them do a trial based on the owner's magical experience and mana. The target can not escape unless the trial is finished, however the target cannot die within the trial. Also, while cathing a target, you can't catch more than one, otherwise the Meteor will break.
- Slave Collar (奴隷の首輪) : A meteor which connects with the gate of the owner and the collar. The collar is put on the slaves and are painfully punished as punishment by the meteor. The collar that appeared in the story was paired with the bracelet of the owner.
- Scarlet Little Finger (朱色の小指 Akeiro no Koyubi) : A red ring which was used by Stride Vollachia, which was capable of casting a curse that rotted the target's limbs, eventually leading to death. He used the ring to hold Veltol's life hostage and on various other people like Tishua Astrea, Carol Remendis and others.
- Loudspeaker : A meteor which is based in Priestella. It's a meteor which is used for broadcasts in the city.
- Echidna's Meteor Staff : A meteor which was created by Echidna and is currently used by Felt. It is able to charge up and fire a giant burning blast of light.
Dragon Sword Reid (龍剣レイド Ryuuken Reido) A sword supposedly given by the Sword Gods to the first Sword Saint and handed down to those who have received the Divine Protection and succeed the title for generations of the Astrea family. It has power to cut through almost anything and cannot be destroyed, however a special condition is needed to be met in order for to be drawn.
Yang Sword Vollachia (陽剣ヴォラキア Youken Vorakia) : A sword that appears out of thin air when the user wishes to use it and it cuts and burns whatever the user wishes, similar to Typhon's Authority. It is mentioned by Berstetz Fondalfon that only those who have the necessary qualities for the throne of Vollachia are able to wield the sword. There are currently three wielders, Priscilla Barielle, Vincent Vollachia and Stride Vollachia.
Crossbow (弩弓): A weapon that was invented in Gusteko.
Recognition Obstruction Robe (認識阻害のローブ): A robe that allows the wearer to obstruct anyone from perceiving them, unless the wearer allows it or the person is strong enough to overcome its effects.
Roswaal's Black Glove (ロズワールの黒手袋): The glove is special piece of equipment supposedly left behind by Roswaal's ancestors. It is said to be able to stop the cutting edge of a holy sword.
Kingdom of Lugnica (ルグニカ王国): See Kingdom of Lugnica.
- Alam Village (アーラム村)
- Sanctuary (聖域)
- Sanctuary Barrier (聖域の結界)
- Mirula (ミルーラ)
- Augria Sand Dunes (アウグリア砂丘)
- Evil Sealing Stone Shrine (封魔石の祠)
Kararagi (カララギ): See Kararagi.
- Banan (バナン)
- Zarestia's Bed (ザーレスティアの寝床 Zarestia no Nedoko)
Vollachia Empire (ヴォラキア帝国): See Vollachia Empire.
- Rupgana (ルプガナ)
- Gladiator Island Ginunhive (剣奴孤島ギヌンハイブ)
- Garkla (ガークラ)
Gusteko (グステコ): See Gusteko.